Saturday, March 6, 2010

chapter 11

I was impressed on Robert Schumann's teaching. He emphasized 'touch'. I think touch is related to tone or sound. In my experience, it is too difficult for me to express and make a tone and sound what I would like to. I usually too much hit the key when I play the forte. On the contrary, I play the piano too much light or sometimes I missed the notes when I play the piano or pianissimo. I do not know exactly how I could make a sound deeply but not too heavy or softly but not too light. My previous teacher always told me I have to hear when I play the piano and I have tried to do so far, but it is not easy and certain.

Personally, I strongly respect Clara Schumann because she was a virtuous pianist, the mother of six children and the wife of great master Robert Schumann. She is like a super woman.
Amy fay said that Clara Shumann's playing is grand, finished and perfected rounded off, but there is nothing of the analytic. However, I am sure she played musically as well as technically to study the pieces because almost all keyboard pieces by Robert Schumann are very characteristic and his Lied is based on the poetry so his Lied is so meaningful. Clara Schumann played Robert Schumann's works very frequently after Robert Schumann died. Also she got a glowing praise after her performances. I think it is the evidence Clara Schumann analyzed Robert Schumann's music and she had already known what Schumann had to say.

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed reading about Schumann's, as well as the other pianists', approach to teaching/technique, but I was surprised to read that Schumann had little to say verbally during his lessons. He is obviously well-known for his writings but I did not know this coincided with comparatively few spoken comments.

    ReplyDelete