Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chapter 13: Leschetizky

Leschetizky is wise in stating, “If you think yourself a poor specimen, you will probably always remain one, or most likely become one, but if you think of yourself as having the possibilities of greatness in you, there is a chance for you.” If people do not believe in themselves, they will have a hard time amounting to much.

I like that Leschetizky in part emphasizes the importance of listening to oneself. Speaking from my own experience, I do not think students do enough of this today. I have caught mistakes when listening to recordings of myself that I did not notice when practicing. I have also thought I sounded terrible when practicing, and then hear a recording of myself and found I liked aspects of my playing. We often do not sound exactly how we think we do when practicing, and I think we would have a better conception of our sound if we listened more intently.

As prescribed by Leschetizky, “the brain must guide the fingers, not the fingers the brain.” This statement is a wise one. Playing the piano requires a lot of brain power, and if you think of what you want to do and then reflect on how you did it, I think, will be beneficial in the end for any pianist.

I think Leschetizky’s statement “for accuracy without expression isn’t worth that” is an important one. So often, I think pianists are expected to be machines and consistently play perfectly. But, I think an audience would be more moved by a performance filled with emotion and expression, and the occasional wrong not, as opposed to a dry, yet perfect performance.

I like how Leschetizky does not believe in one prescribed method for teaching each piece or individual students. The analogy that he is a physician and his students are his patients which he has to prescribe different remedies for their musical ailments is a good one. No student learns in the same manner, and requires different types of instruction.

The order of fingers with regards to strength in the Bree method is interesting. While I think, depending on the student, the strength of the thumb, second, and third fingers are somewhat interchangeable, I am not sure if I agree that the fifth finger is stronger than the second.

2 comments:

  1. I also like this idea “the brain must guide the fingers, not the fingers the brain.” Unfortunately,I use fingers more than my brain sometimes when I was practicing. I have to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your experiences with listening to recordings of yourself. It can be hard to listen objectively when there are so many things to think about while playing. Sometimes I think the set-up can get in the way; practicing with the music stand down often reveals many weaknesses for me.

    ReplyDelete