Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Russian Nationalism

It was so exciting that Bettina Walker said that ' to imagine that Henselt was sinking his fingers into warm wax.' Can you guys imagine to sink your fingers into warm wax? I have never thought about that. I think it means his playing was very smooth, natural, beautiful and lyrical. Also, the tone or touch should be tender and arem, elbow and wrist should be relaxing. So I am trying to imagine the warm wax before the practicing. I think it could be better to relax my arm, elbow and wrist. I am happy to get the new idea from here.

As I know, almost all Russian pianists have high techniques to play the piano. I have seen and heard some Russian pianists's playings and I felt almost all Russian pianists did not have any technical problem such as 3rd, 6rd, repeated notes and octaves which almost students who are majoring piano performance have. Also, sometimes, I felt Russian pianists performances are very technical rather than musical. Of course, a lot of Russian virtuoso's playings are not only lyrical and musical but also technical such as Rubinstein. But I felt some Russian pianists more concentrate on the technique and the fast tempo. (I remembered Russian piano students were usually playing the piano very fast than other countries piano sudent eventhough it is the same piece) So I was wondering what the piano education or lesson they are educated. I guess piano teachers might teach piano techniques relating with arm, elbow and wrist. In my experience, some Russian pianists's playings are very powerful and technical. But according to this book, Russian music schools regarded the tone or touch as important. I am just wondering the piano teching method became little bit changed? or are the tone and touch also very related with the piano techniques?

2 comments:

  1. I also liked the warm wax analogy. That conjures up a very warm and relaxed tone in my mind. This chapter also helped clear up some misconceptions I had about the Russian school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wax thought is a good one to have, because we imagine a soft material that our hands will be touching, rather than the hard surface of the keys. This allows us to release any tension we having and I think also to feel the weight of the keys. Our fingers, if in wax, are in constant contact with it, and is something similar we want with the keys in order to have a loose arm.

    ReplyDelete