Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I really appreciated the quote “There is more rhythm between the notes than in the notes themselves”. I think that very few pianists actually think of this while playing. It is especially hard to do this while playing a recital dealing with nerves etc. .cause one sometimes tends to rush and forget about breathing. I tend to forget that while playing and sometimes that is one of the most important aspects when playing. Leschetizky actually told Ethel Newcomb about the deep breaths Rubenstein used to take at the beginning of long phrases.
I think as piano teachers we can all learn from Leschetizky’s idea of having no method. “Method depends on the person you have before you”. I agree that each student is different and has different needs and talents. I think that a good teacher should acknowledge that and must be able to adapt. He does state that in the beginning the basics must be learned before one can go very far. He even had assistants doing that part of the teaching. In my opinion that is great but still a teacher should know how to teach the basics to a beginner, otherwise it can only be harmful to the student.
I think Schnabel’s statements on finger-playing and arm movement are very true. He also thinks that for very young beginners putting a coin on their hand without dropping it might be the only temporarily method. Note: “temporarily”.
Leschetizky was one of the few teachers so far who stated that you don’t need to play Bach Preludes and Fugues to become better musicians, or as he stated ‘waste time’ on it. I find this to be a refreshing statement especially at a time when older composers’ music was becoming more prominent and more widely known. Why do some teachers still believe that it is necessary to play Bach?

The last statements on methods that Leschetizky believed in on p. 285 were very interesting to me eg. using your fingertips in everyday life- like holding an umbrella with them. As well as when making a rallentando- to think of a closed tap. I like the fact that he explains concepts with familiar concrete things.

3 comments:

  1. I was also impressed that there is more rhythm between the notes. Frankly speaking, I never think about that:( I think if we think about this we can play the piece more rhythmically and we could play and understand the articulations easily in the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I like what he said about breathing. I think most of us could probably think more about breathing, in our playing. We practice breathing in workouts, dance, etc., why not in our playing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think studying Bach is absolutely necessary! I agree with von Bulow that the WTC constitutes the 'old testament' and the Beethoven Sonatas the 'new.' But Bach has so much more than just the preludes and fugues of the WTC, and all are extremely valuable for the developing (or already developed) musician.

    ReplyDelete