Saturday, April 10, 2010

Breithaupt and Weight Technique

"Stiffness seems to me the most reprehensible thing in piano plying, as well as the most common fault with all kinds of player." Especially, when we are very nervous, we usually become stiffened. It is not helpful for us to play the piano at all. So, I usually try to relax my arm and shoulder consciously before the performance so that I could play the piano with relief.

I think Breithaupt very emphasized about the relaxation of arm, wrist and shoulder as well as the finger and hand position. I really agree with her guidence. I think the hand and finger positions, and the relaxation of wrist, arm and shoulder are the most important elements to play the piano very comfortably, beautifully and stably. Actually, I am not well-trained about these piano techniques, so I have frequently faced with making the sound and octave or repeated notes eventhough I have played the piano about 23 years. Especially, it is too difficult when I play repeated octaves very fast. The begining goes pretty well, but after one pages, my arm and shoulder cannot support my fingers and finally I do not finish the piece. In my experience, the relaxation of the arm, shoulder and wrist is crucial interms of piano techniques.

I mostly agree with the Breithaupt's instruction. But I have one thing I worry about. We usually say that this performance was so impressed and perfect if the performance was very musical and technical. We cannot say the performance was so good if the performance was perfect just technically. In my case, it is easy to miss the whole line of the piece if I make much of the relaxation of each note and technique. So I think it is really important that the body has to relax always and we have to think the music when we play the piano.

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point on still thinking about the music. The technique should serve the music and the music inform the technique, whether or not it involves relaxation.

    ReplyDelete