Monday, April 5, 2010

Marguerite Long’s method Le Piano was insightful, I think her methods can easily be applied in our studies and teaching. I liked her view on technique and how she stated, “there is nothing more important to strive for than finger articulation…this is an elementary truth.” (320) I remember how my teacher made me practice a new major and minor scale every week when I started playing piano. Looking back I am glad she made me practice them because they really are a strong backbone to playing the piano. I like how she compares diligent technique training to runners and dancers and their work toward developing their legs for strength. Once you have that strength you just keep getting stronger and faster as long as you are still working hard. Therefore, once we have the technique down we will continue getting better and stronger fingers if we keep practicing well.

Debussy was an interesting character, the way his personality is described in the book as being so neat and clean, a perfectionist puts his music in a new light for me. Now, I look at it as very precise and exact, only one way of executing it. I thought his reasons for omitting pedal markings was interesting and also what was said of Chopin. He wanted his students to practice without the pedal and to only use it sparingly when performing. Was this an idea that was still lingering on from the baroque period? Why was he against the pedal? One reason I though Debussy and Chopin might seem, lets say 'leery' of the pedal is because without it one has to depend much more on ones ears and fingers to get a beautiful sound.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, the finger should be not only strong but also flexible. I think the scales were very helpful for you when you started playing the piano. It makes finger strong and flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked what she said about likening our fingers to the legs of dancers and runners. It occurred to me that, if we consider the graceful and yet extremely precise style of ballet dancers we might get, on the large scale, a picture of how French music is to be played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that Debussy was leery of the pedal. So much of understanding Debussy comes from listening with a well-developed ear. The other big reason for omitting pedal, is because every piano and every room would give a different response that would not be appropriate with the same pedal marking. Think playing the UCC recital hall piano vs. the 1878 Steinway in the senate chamber. Much needs to be changed.

    ReplyDelete