Sunday, April 18, 2010

The English School

"The noise of the blow of the finger spoils the tone quality". I really agree with William Townsend's saying from his book 'Balance of Arm in Piano Technique'. I think it is dangerous if we make a sound using just fingers. The sound might not loud and the sound might be too hitting sound. I think we have to use arm, shoulder and wirst if we would like to make a loud and deep sound. On the other hand, he tells that the fingers must be kept in constant contact with the keys in finger action. I was little confusing about that. How do I understand his meaning? Do I need to make my fingers diligent? or do I need my fingers to stick in the keys? I think if my fingers stick in the keys constantly it might little hard to play freely.

Also, he emphasizes about true independence of the fingers. The most important thing is if the piano player feels easily, comfortable and freely when they are playing in terms of the true independence of the fingers. Therefore, it is important for student to learn this technique and posture at the begining of playing the piano. Also, I need to always think that "if the finger is raised above the key, the balance is destroyed because of the resulting tension." My fingers usually are raised up when I play the piano and it causes more mistakes and too light sound. Above all, the fingers become too moving if the fingers are very raised up. Then it is difficult to use arm and wrist and it causes the lack of sound. I think it is one of the my main problem so I will keep thinking about that so that I could avoid the lack of sound.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Arm especially forearm plays an important role in the piano performance. It is hard to imagine that playing the piano without using arms.

    ReplyDelete