Monday, April 12, 2010

Some of the things from Breithaupt’s method that I thought could be applicable to my playing and helpful were his ideas of relaxation throughout the whole arm. While at times I found it hard to follow along with his ideas I think that relaxation in playing is a key element. When one is too stiff injuries may occur and also ones playing runs the risk of sounding too technical and thus unmusical.

However, when I sat down to play with relaxation being the focus of my playing I found that it was not so easy. My wrists tended to be low because I was really thinking about relaxing my arms and shoulders and so the weight of them brought my wrists down. This did not feel so comfortable or like good form either. Therefore, like Florence Leonard puts it ones first thought is of instant rebellion. So I feel that one must have some variety of ‘stiffness’ in order to play well. But the right balance is necessary.

I liked how Carreno puts it “Relaxation does not mean to flop all over the piano; it means, rather, to loosen just where it is needed and nowhere else…” Did Breithaupt understand this concept? He seems to promote not only relaxation but floppiness as well. This I think was the downfall of this method. He went too far towards relaxation. We must have some stiffness in our fingers and wrists to execute quick passages and runs. I was also very surprised when he suggested abolishing scales and mechanical finger-exercises. I don’t understand what one would gain from eliminating scales. I think scales are more beneficial then harmful. They have taught me not only finger development but steadiness in tempo as well.

3 comments:

  1. What you say about your wrists being low is interesting, since I think that was a by-product of my attempts at the super-relaxed method, as well. In that case, I think that over-relaxation might in fact be harmful, if the wrists remain low for sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised to read that Breithaupt thought that scales and other exercises were unnecessary. Similar passages appear in compositions and would have to be learned using weight and relaxation at some point anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relaxation is important, and I think we need to try to reduce tension in our arms. I have had some success with keeping a good shape in my arm with little tension, if I use my core and back muscles to keep my arms held up. Maybe that will help with the low wrists?

    ReplyDelete