Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Relax!

I think it is very helpful to be aware of the transfer of weight to the fingertips. I am not sure it is so good to be relaxed that you would not be able to hold a cup of tea though. Playing with a relaxed arm definitely makes it easier to produce a good sound, but I don’t think you can only rely on relaxation to make a beautiful sound. It has to come from ones ears first. Also, I don’t think all compositions require a relaxed arm. I would think Beethoven would require slightly less than perhaps Chopin and Prokofiev at times need a very percussive sound that needs a very direct or even stiff attack.

I think a potentially bad thing about Breithaupt’s school is the over emphasis on relaxation. We need some tension in playing piano. If you are too relaxed you would not be able focus on the most important aspects of music, which is surely the interpretation thereof. I would rather listen to someone that interprets music or “tells a story” or keeps me interested than to someone that looks very relaxed and comfortable at the keyboard. There are many pianists who seem very comfortable at the piano but the music seems to be easy as well. (If that makes any sense) I have also seen pianist that look less comfortable and with a slightly imperfect technique that could play very well.

I have benefitted greatly from ridding myself of tension at times, but it has not been the most prominent aspect of my practicing and playing. I sometimes see pianist that seem very relaxed and everything comes across so easy that I wish I could play like that. On the other hand it sometimes looks as if some pianists, that are “super relaxed”, just don’t care.

I went to a concert in Cleveland where I heard Radu Lupu perform a concerto with the Cleveland orchestra. He sat and walked to relaxed it seemed as if he just woke up or as if he is on his way to bed. Even after he played he stood up and walked of stage like he just had a snack at a coffee house! I think relaxation must be part of one’s practicing but it should not be the most important aspect of you playing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that relaxation should only be a part of our technique, however I think that we can create a percussive sound without a "stiff" attack, as you said. I prefer phrases like strong fingers, and even then, I think that the microsecond releases, within pieces of music that require a huge attack throughout, are absolutely crucial to having enough steam to make it all of the way through. The awareness of muscles, be it engaging or relaxing, does need to be emphasized more in all of our practice, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had problems being too relaxed and had a floppy sound. While I think it is important to rid ourselves of useless tension, it is also important to have firmness when needed, as this often helps direct the sound and produce a clear tone. I like your story of Lupu, and I think we can take from this, that tension should not only be minimal at the piano, but also in all aspects of our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete