Monday, April 12, 2010

Breithaupt and Weight Technique

In this chapter, weight technique was advocated by Breithaupt's school. It emphasized on arm participation, weight and relaxation. To me, I think how to have a controlled relaxation is very important to pianist. It not only helps us to create a good tone but also protects us from getting tired and hurt when we practice. Proper posture and hand position could make a totally different tone.

 

 I do believe in "relaxed weight". Carreno mentioned   "the secret of power lies in relaxation."  In a sense, playing piano is a kind of physical exercise for human being. Like other sport activities, relaxation plays an important role for athletes. Unfortunately, before the end of 19th century, very few of people really noticed this and most of them more focused on fingering exercises. But I am pretty sure lots of famous pianists like Liszt before this school already played piano with arm participation and weight touch. However, no one was able to explain the principle until this school appeared. Frankly, I really get tired to read too many fingering training methods in the previous chapters. To me, this chapter is a new milestone in the development of pianism.

 

Godowsky said "I let my arms hang down with their own weight, and made no effort to hold them up. In short I was playing with relaxed arm weight." Also, I prefer "low seat". It makes me feel more comfortable and relax to play the piano.

 

According to the hand position, on page 340-341, I was totally trained by old methods in my childhood. But I can't play in "good pose" like the chapter indicated. I tried and felt very strange when I play in this posture. Also on page 345, I also can do Low-Fall, but can't do High-Fall. My wrist can't hold that high when I play the piano.

 

 

 

 

 



聊天+搜索+邮箱 想要轻松出游,手机MSN帮你搞定! 立刻下载!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, playing the piano is related with physical thing, so we have to protect our body as a pianist. Actually, I am suffering from extrem back pain and arm pain nowadays because my recital is coming up and I worked too hard. I think I need to more relax my body, shoulder and arm when I practice.

    ReplyDelete