Sunday, February 28, 2010

chapter 10

I was impressed with Liszt's teaching method.

Actually, I have very small finger and my little finger is uniquely short. So, I have some trouble when I played the octaves. Especially, repeated octaves and legato octaves are so difficult and hard for me to play them. Liszt emphasized the importance of octave study and he suggested several ways to practice octives. I will try these methods before playing the piece and I hope it will be helpful for me to play octaves.

Liszt also taught the posture importantly. 'Liszt wants the boby held straight, with the head bent slightly backward...... One must never play from the arms and the shoulders. He insists very much on these points.' I have a question regarding this article. Actually, I have learned from my teachers that I have to use my arm rather than finger if I would like to make a beautiful sound. Did I misunderstand 'Liszt's guidance'? I am so confusing..

1 comment:

  1. Not playing from the arm surprised me as well. I'm not sure that was entirely true or if it just meant we shouldn't do over the top gestures with out arms. Either way, I find it impossible to play Liszt without full arm technique.

    ReplyDelete