Monday, February 8, 2010

Chapter 5

I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of these old-fashioned rivalries that we've read about. The Clementi and Mozart feud was interesting but this Hummel/Beethoven fiasco is fascinating to me. You just don't really see that kind of behavior as much today. If there was, I think it would be fair to a duel to settle it once and for all and the winner should have to leave the country or something....Of course Beethoven is the victor of this feud, he's awesome.

Now onto Hummel the teacher. I remember only briefly learning about Hummel as one of those transitory composers that got a passing mention. In fact I think I've only heard his A minor concerto once (though it is a dazzling piece). He had some good philosophies for teaching. I liked his idea of daily musical instruction, though in this society it's just not practical as music is "just" and extracurricular activity. I might mention that most other extracurricular activities have daily instruction such as sports practices and the like, but I digress. I think it would be beneficial to do multiple lessons per week if it works for the teacher and student. That way the student gets positive reenforcement and less space for learning bad habits. This would also make the student practice more, but who really has time for that?

I like the point that he suggested students listen to other distinguished musicians, not only pianists but other instrumentalists, vocalists and ensembles. This is indispensable advice and most certainly would help the student become a better musician. Imagine learning a Chopin nocturne without any thought to the vocal origins. And in many cases if you sing the melody, you get a much better idea on how to shape it. One last thing to mention from his treatise. He, like the others we have seen, mentions that music should speak for itself. Any unnecessary movements or attempt to show off do not make you a better musician *ahem*.

At first I wondered why his treatise (and treatises in general) has fallen out of prominence. But after thinking about it for a while, I understand why people don't really need treatises anymore. For one, you may not agree with everything it says. Secondly, if you've been teaching, you figure out your own way to present technique and musicality to your students with your own un-boring exercises. And who really wants to read a multi-volume book on teaching when we really should be practicing! Maybe someone will one day make an abridged version as Gerig suggests and we can reference if we choose without having to sift through hundreds of pages.

5 comments:

  1. Two things, let's both write a treatise and then see what happens. Also, I completely agree with more frequent instruction. Why can't we have lessons every day! Let's bring this up with the professors.. see what they have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let's; I'm all for more lessons. :) I like the point you made in passing about sports teams receiving instruction daily. I wonder, if we spun it right, if we could give piano playing some of the glamor and excitement of sports, by increasing the number of lessons per week. Maybe it's a little far out, but what if all we needed were logo tees, and ten minutes of the drill sergeant routine with Hanon before the lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will join those expressing interest in lessons held more frequently than once a week, if not daily. I think that it would primarily be beneficial to beginners who are not yet comfortable with a good body and hand postion at the piano. As a student progresses, though, I think that allowing students more time away from the teacher is important for encouraging independence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also impressed by the relationship bewteen singing and playing. Normally,vocal major undergraduate students will be required a piano lesson such as group piano. I am wondering if piano students should have a vocal lesson in their junior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also found the rival between the two musicians interesting. But I was curious why you thought Beethoven won the rival between Hummel and himself? Is it because he was the one to start the romantic area and that his music is more well know today? In a way he was the one to stand the test of time...?

    ReplyDelete