Sunday, February 7, 2010

There are so many things written and said about Beethoven. This chapter alone quotes various situations which portrays Beethoven's personality and character. It is very easy to change the spirit of a situation to suit a biast oppinion. Beethoven's reception history over the past 200 years proved to be everchanging, and it would not seem surprising to read about various over-exaggerated myths. I was amazed at the friendly and soft-hearted nature of Beethoven, eminent in letters he wrote to friends as well as what other famous composers and pianists of the day said about him. He had a great concern for his nephew and felt sympathetic towards him.

Beethoven's attempts towards writing a method book seems very interesting especially the choice of fingering in the double-note trill. I would certainly not use that in my next recital.

It is unfortunate that Beethoven could not fully benefit from the great improvements of the fortepiano at the end of his life, however Beethoven might very well have been a significant influence in the production of pianos with greater sound abillity etc.

I was very pleased to notice that Beethoven encouraged his students to put words with longer phrases or to sing it, in order to play it more musically. It is very helpful in Beethoven's works to imagine a long line in cantilena style, as sung or played by a string instrument.

Beethoven's remarks on contemporary pianists' mechanical playing and destroying all truth of expression could be of much value to some of today's pianists as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love the discussion of Beethoven. It is certainly helping me shed new light on the sonata I am currently working on. It is reassuring to know that he encouraged students to put words with phrases. Not only can it help to play long phrases more musically, but we can expand upon this idea to help articulate motives. One of my favorite phrases (of which I stole from a professor) is "I go there." It is simple, but every time I play the opening motive in the third movement of Op. 10, No. 1, it really helps me play it with a clear arrival point. In a sense, I know where I'm going : )

    ReplyDelete