Sunday, February 7, 2010

chapter 5&6

I would like to focus on the Hummel's attitude regarding his playing. Hummel had brillant musical talent and he palyed the piano very clean and clear. According to this book, Czerny gave Hummel high praise and Czerny said " I myself was influenced by Hummel's manner of play to the extent that in kindled in me a desire for greater cleanness and clarity." However Hummel did not satisfy his playing, even he got frustrated when Beethoven appeared. But, Hummel thought that it was best to remain true to myself and my own nature. I really agree with that. I have never satisfied my performance and I have always compared with other piano students. I thought ' why I do not play like her/him? or why I did not that technical things...and so on..' But I realize that I need to find out my own nature like Hummel.

Personally speaking, Beethoven works are very hard for me to play because Beethoven's music is not only freely but also exactly. It is paradoxical, but it is true. Actually, Beethoven usually improvised his music or other musics, but there was in his own rule.
According to Ries, " At times he would hold the tempo back in his crescendo with ritardando, which made a very beautiful and highly striking effect." It is absolutely true but it is hard for me to play Beethoven's music because I am not sure how much I need to hold the tempo back. I think this issue is musical thing as well as technical thing.

1 comment:

  1. I think tempo is a very interesting topic in Beethoven's music. I have listened to many recordings of the Beethoven I am currently playing, and after incorporating some of the ideas I liked, had been asked to play what Beethoven wrote despite what I heard on some recordings. I do agree that one should follow the score, but taking some of our own liberties is what interpretation is. Not everyone plays each sonata at exactly the same tempo. Some add rubato, some stay strictly in time. This is an aspect that I think makes each individual an artist, and if Beethoven held back on the tempo, shouldn't we feel free to do so as well?

    ReplyDelete