Monday, February 8, 2010

Hummel had some good ideals about the teaching of piano in his treatise. I appreciated how he said that a teacher should demonstrate eagerness and interest in there students in order for them to make rapid progress. I have always felt that it is important for a student to feel applauded or at least respected by their instructors. I think students will really work and practice harder for a teacher if they are made to feel important.
It surprised me to read that Beethoven could be such a patient and good teacher as shown through his students letters, Ries and Therese Brunswick. I have always thought of him as a musician prone to excitement and a bad temperament. But this was not always the case for him. His good nature was again proven in the letter to Czerny about his nephew and also in his admiration toward Weber.

I found the rival between Hummel's followers and Beethoven's to be interesting. On the one hand there is Beethoven the new innovator and on the other Hummel with his cleanness and clarity. Beethoven the "fascinating personality in music history" and Hummel following in the shoes of Mozart. Both were great musicians and teachers yet so different in there approaches to music. Hemmel states "I said to myself that it was best to remain true to myself and my own nature." I think this really represents how both Hummel and Beethoven felt about their playing and music. Moreover, both really held to there true selfs. Beethoven being the passionate composer conveying and expressing his feelings. And Hummel being the classic one.

1 comment:

  1. While reading the list of qualities Hummel believed a teacher should posses, I also appreciated the first point. It acknowledges the importance of psychological or emotional aspects related to piano study alongside the physical and mental aspects.

    ReplyDelete