Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chapter 5: Hummel

It is interesting to hear of Hummel the pedagogue more than Hummel the performer. There must have been greater expectations for beginning piano students during the 19th century than of students today. I think many students attending a liberal arts college strive for three hours of practice a day, and it seems a bit excessive to expect a child to practice for extended periods of time. I do not know how warranted such an observation is as I do not know what else 19th century children did with their time. However, I am sure that such high expectations produced many exceptional pianists.

Hummel had many practical instructions for teachers: that students should effectively learn to read music and not play entirely from memory, they should be able to count out loud, and the instrument should be properly tuned to improve their ear. I like how Hummel does not believe the student should be bombarded with overly difficult compositions, as they can be injurious. While a teacher does have to present progressively more difficult compositions to foster development, one has to be careful in their selections. In my own experience, I often played pieces too difficult for me, which resulted in learning more bad habits than good.

I agree with Hummel that pianists should have knowledge of vocal music and even technique. I have heard from so many of my professors to think of a beautiful, singing vocal line, or to join a choir, all for the benefit of improving my piano playing. When I think of how a vocalist would sing a line, or sing melody lines myself, it becomes easier to project that type of sound.

There is something to be learned from Hummel's treatise, and unfortunately, he receives little, if any credit, in today's history books.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly seems that 19th century children were more accomplished than I am in many respects. I'm curious as to what would happen if children weren't allowed to play video games or watch T.V, and they either had to sit outside in the cold or learn to play an instrument. Idiocracy anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree 100% with the way and children we spend our time. Though just one hour of completely focused practiced is much more beneficial than any amount of unfocused. I guess each student must find the amount of hours that works for them, there being no "right" amount.

    ReplyDelete