Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chapter 8-9

It’s fun to see how people try to invent ‘magic’. They all claimed how beneficial are the devices to the students. I don’t believe that’s quite the truth but instead just a marketing strategy. Ironically though they were definitely making good deals out of them.


I don’t believe there’s short cut in piano learning. The devices might have helped students recognizing the correct posture, but at the same time I think poisoned their mind. I think students practicing on these devices for extensive time would turn relying too much on the devices instead of actively learning the techniques. I have no doubt on the effect the devices brought on building strength but they’re also turning pianists to machines! In my point of view, technique is purely organic, physical acts are originated from the brain. In practice, pianist requires the greatest freedom to achieve the specific moves, but not to set up physical boundaries to ‘help’ controlling.


However I do see the benefit from learning not according the ease of notation but shape of hands. In my experience teaching Alfred’s method books, and comparing that to the more traditional John Thompson (or similars) stream, students starting with the black key position Chopin suggested tend to aware more of the shape of the hands than students starting on middle C, or all white keys. Yet the advantage accumulates as they grow in learning. I think the first impression of how the student approach the instrument set a solid ground of the techniques that come after. I prefer more on starting with physical approach than notational because I think visual ability can be developed in later stages.



------



I don’t have much to say about Chopin.. He’s great, I love him. He’s always one of my favorites. I’m just not sure about saying he started a whole new school of piano playing is right. I feel like that’s a bit overstated because probably his other contemporaries play better than he did. Definitely he’s a unique in style though. However Chopin without doubt deserves all credit in combining and expressing technical and musical issues in a very artistic gesture. Thank you Chopin :)

2 comments:

  1. You hit it right on the head. There is not a shortcut in learning the piano. That's why those odd devices were so popular. That's also the reason why so many people give up on piano, it takes a lifetime to master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. I think the devices could have been used as an initial tool to feel the basic position, but only as a starting point. I find that a teacher can show you something, but until you experience it for yourself you don't truly understand that sensation. If students relied solely on the devices, how would they perform when without them?

    ReplyDelete