Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chapter 9: Chopin

I would have liked Chopin as person. From the description giving by Gerig, it is hard not to imagine him as genuine. Perhaps it is the sympathy we connect with, only wishing that Chopin had lived longer; identifying what a tragedy his ill health was.

Although short, his life appears to have been fulfilling in many ways. He was in the presence of many great composers like Mendelssohn and Liszt, traveled, concertized some, and had a decent social life. I smiled and imagined Mendelssohn, Chopin, and Hiller attending an oratorio together, associating such an event with similar happenings today as we attend recitals with our music friends. For the first time, I was able to picture what the life of a composer being discussed might have looked like.

Most of this chapter discusses the aspects of performance, composition, and daily life of Chopin. It is not until the end of the chapter where we have a glimmer of Chopin the pedagogue. We know most of his students were of the aristocracy, which explains why not many of his pupils became famous musicians, and also why his pedagogical teaching is not discussed in depth. However, I think it is obvious in the descriptions of touch, articulation, expression, and phrasing, that Chopin was an adept teacher.

I had never thought, but agree, that the B major scale is best to start with. I suppose that because I started with the C major scale, I never considered how awkward it feels under the fingers. When I though of scales, hand position, and fingering, I realized my favorite scales to play are those with the most black keys. However, I had never thought I favored these scales because of the natural placement of the fingers on the black keys. If we all started out on scales that enforced a more natural hand position, it may prove to be better for our technique in the end.

For me, I find Chopin's technique to be revolutionary and most closely mirrors the technique I have been taught. He seems to enforce the whole arm, rotation in the wrist, etc., all of which assist in efficient coordination of the fingers. The idea of suppleness has certainly helped me. I think this is the first instance the word has been used to describe one's technique, and creates a good image of what we should feel and look like.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving that perspective on the pleasure in Chopin's life; I found it hard to see the good with the bad when I was reading about him.
    I agree with your opinion about the B major scale; it does seem comfortable, and if we taught our students a scale with accidentals to start with, we might save them, and ourselves a lot of the psychological trauma involved with accidentals later in most methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It was nice to hear the word supple, and I think that is a great way to describe the way one must play Chopin, supple yet supported. I think his technique mixed with some Liszt makes a good recipe for Romantic technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed the B major scales mentioned in this chapter. I taught group piano in my previous school, I found B major is one of the most easy scales for the students to play and memorize because of its comfortable hand postion and the order of white keys and black keys.

    ReplyDelete